Bread, margarine, juice, wine all these are foods that we often eat. And did you know that these basic food products can lead to numerous problems for the human health, including cancer, weak immune system, even problems of the locomotor system? Yes, and this is because these foods are hiding a number of harmful preservatives. Nowadays, preservatives, which are actually designed to keep food edible for longer, are in high concentration not only in various exotic foods, but in foods we consume daily, too.
Here you will find out about some of the most popular preservatives and the damage they can cause to the human body:
1. Benzoate (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium salt of Benzoic acid) is a dietary supplement known as E211, one of the most common food preservatives. Causes allergies and can damage brain cells. It is most often found in carbonated drinks, fruit juices, flour, beer, margarine, some shampoos and even dog food.
2. Bromates (E924 – Potassium bromate) May cause diarrhea and other stomach problems. It is believed that bromate lowers the levels of food nutrients and therefore it is present in almost all types of bread.
3. BHA (butyl hydroxyanisole Butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene butylated). It is a preservative that affects the nervous system, creates behavioral problems and is potentially carcinogenic (causes development of cancer cells). Typically, they are used in canned meat, beer and snacks.
4. Mono- and Diglycerides (E471): While permitted as additives in many foods, they can give rise to congenital defects, as well as cancers. Found mostly in snacks such as crackers, candies, pastries, cakes, peanut butter, vegetables with sauce, margarine, dry roasted nuts, jams, baguettes and frozen prepared foods.
5. Sodium Nitrite: used for preserving meat to provide the desired pink color and the suppression of bacteria which causes food poisoning. Nitrates are found in many vegetables and are safe for consumption, but when converted into nitrites, they react with amines to form nitrosamines. Nitrosamines have long been seen as a possible cause of stomach cancer.
6. Propyl gallate (E310): may cause birth defects, liver problems, asthma, stomach irritation, allergic skin rashes. Harmful to people sensitive to aspirin. Widespread in the food industry and can be found in almost everything, including chewing gum, pickles, sauces, vegetables and most meat products. Banned for use in the preparation of baby food.
Some scientists speculate that Propyl Galatians are able to induce growth of malignant tumors, but this issue has not yet been studied.
7. Sulphites (class of chemicals that can keep fruits and vegetables fresh). Used to prevent spoilage and discoloration during preparation, storage or distribution of many foods. Suphites can cause allergies, headaches, palpitations and cancer . Sulphites are found mostly in processed foods, corn starch, vinegar, wine and dried fruit.
If you want to reduce or avoid the impact of artificial food supplements on your body, you need to minimize the consumption of processed foods. Always carefully read the labels on the products you buy for your family and choose food from certified organic producers.
Supplements associated with carcinogenic effects, or for which there is evidence of their connection with the development of cancer in animals:
E123, E127, E129, E407, E905, E952, E954.
Supplements associated with headache or migraine causing:
E280, E281, E951, E952.
Food additives for which there is data that can trigger allergies in consumption or contact:
E107, E110, E122, E124, E132, E155, E212, E216, E218, E320, E413, E414, E416, E421, E441, E901, E903, E928, E951.
Supplements banned for use in food products in some countries:
E102, E104, E107, E110, E116, E117, E122, E123, E124, E127, E128, E129, E131, E132, E133, E142, E151, E154, E155, E160c, E160d, E173, E174, E175, E180, E214, E215, E216, E217, E219, E226, E227, E230, E231, E233, E236, E237, E238, E239, E320, E363, E370, E385, E432, E434, E463, E470, E474, E483, E493, E494, E495, E513, E524, E525, E527, E528, E530, E540, E541, E544, E545, E553a, E576, E635, E907, E927, E952, E954.